Responsibilities for the Role
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) will be responsible for providing non-promotional scientific, educational, and research support for the Vericel Orthopedic portfolio.
Activities will include:
- The MSL will be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with key orthopedic experts and building a well-informed advocacy base for the Vericel Orthopedic franchise.
- The MSL will act as a conduit for providing accurate and updated clinical, scientific and medical information to Cartilage Experts, health care professionals, treatments decision makers and other members of the scientific, provider and payer community (private insurance, payers, medical groups, government agencies, and health systems with drug formularies), in compliance with all relevant company policies.
- This position will be responsible for maintaining business and clinical knowledge of the orthopedic/cell therapy treatment landscape including current treatment strategies, current and pending competitors, and new therapeutic developments.
- Increases Vericel’s visibility among leaders in the therapeutic field of Orthopedic & Cell Therapy Management. Identifies, establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with key Experts, investigators and institutions strategic to product development.
- Enhances clinical/scientific knowledge of Cell-therapies, through appropriate scientific exchange, publications, podium presentations and abstracts.
- Participates in medical education for healthcare professionals through presentations with customer visits, investigator meetings, advisory boards, medical meetings, and other appropriate venues to enhance product and disease state knowledge.
- Collaborates with clinical team and commercial teams to coordinate and optimize educational and research support for sites/investigators participating in Vericel clinical trials. Responds to unsolicited requests regarding interest in investigator sponsored studies (ISS), and supports ISS submissions through appropriate internal processes.
- Responds to unsolicited request for medical information associated with supported products and disease state areas. Provides effective clinical presentations to internal and external audiences and tailors presentations to meet specific needs of the audience (appropriate response to unsolicited requests).
- Identifies and communicates key clinical and research issues and insights from industry leaders to appropriate departments to help shape company research, development, and strategies for investigational and commercialized products.
- Facilitates the identification of medical community educational needs around cartilage treatment management, including awareness and understanding of appropriate/inappropriate use of company products.
- Collaboration with internal and external stakeholders in support of needs of Key Opinion leaders (KOLs). Maintains clinical expertise through comprehensive education including attendance at relevant symposium, scientific workshops, and review of key journals.
- Participation in required internal training, presentations and journal clubs. Maintains appropriate communication with Medical, Regulatory, and Legal personnel within the company to ensure appropriate timelines and procedures are met. Adheres to regulatory and compliance guidelines and company policies in all aspects of scientific dissemination of information to include responses to unsolicited requests for medical information.
Required Education and Experience:
- PhD with an orthopedic or cell-therapy back ground.
- 2+ years of experience as a Medical Science Liaison or a related field
- Ability to travel up to 60% of the time on the East Coast of the United States.
- Must live within the East Coast territory
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Well-versed in clinical and basic science to be able to deliver cutting edge data and technical/practical education to Health Care Professionals (HCP).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or protected veteran status and will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Vericel Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.